I spoke about very basic indexing techniques which could help you tune your SQL environment better. When it comes to query tuning, discussion mostly revolves around indexing. I had identified the areas of discussion for Indexing based on my experience on the field. I picked up the common questions and created a PPT for that.
I talked about :
1. Index Seek/Scan and Key/RID lookup
2. Covering Indexes – Composite indexes vs Indexes with included columns
3. Duplicate/Missing/Unused Indexes
4. Read/Write ratio
5. Index Fill Factor
Please check the helpful links for each topics and scripts will be attached with the post:
1. Index Seek/Scan and Key/RID lookup http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertutorial/258/eliminating-bookmark-keyrid-lookups
2. Covering Indexes – Composite indexes vs Indexes with included columns:
3. Duplicate/Missing/Unused Indexes – http://blogs.msdn.com/b/blogdoezequiel/archive/2013/02/19/sql-swiss-army-knife-series-is-indexed.aspx
5. Index Fill Factor – http://sqlmag.com/blog/what-fill-factor-index-fill-factor-and-performance-part-1
Please find the demo script attached with this post!