I am learning reporting services and this is my first blog to start with. This is a very basic issue which any beginner can face. So, I thought it’s worth to create a blog on this.
While deploying reports, It failed with the error:
Error 1 The permissions granted to user domainusername are insufficient for performing this operation. 0 0
It was an interesting one because when I checked in the reporting services configuration manager, the service was started with the same domain and username.
Further to some research, I checked the access rights to the reporting services database and tried to give it RSExecRole rights:
but when I tried to click ok, it failed with the error:
TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
Add member failed for DatabaseRole ‘RSExecRole’. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
For help, click: _http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1617.0+((KJ_RTM_GDR).110422-1901+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
Cannot use the special principal ‘dbo’. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)
That was not strange to me because the user domainusername was the owner of the database:
To get rid of the error, You could simply try EXEC sp_changedbowner ‘domainusername’
Also, it was sysadmin on the server which simply clarifies that there was no issue of access rights on the database.
Delved into it from the reporting services configuration standpoint. Checked the permission at the root level :
And we had all the access. Now moving further:
and didn’t find my account:
Added my account in that and gave the permissions. Tried to deploy the report and this time it was successful.